Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard as a quick file backup tool in Windows
Have you backed up your files lately? Put the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to use, and preserve valuable information on your Windows XP machine.
You can migrate your files and settings from one computer to another using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP. Did you know that you can also use the same utility to back up files? Using the Wizard, along with an external hard drive connected via a USB or Firewire connection, you can. In addition to an external hard drive, you can even back up to a network drive.
- Launch the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard, select the Old Computer option on the Which Computer Is This? screen, and click Next.
- Choose the Other option on the Select A Transfer Method screen.
- Click the Browse button, specify the backup destination—an external hard drive or a network drive—and click Next.
- On the What Do You Want To Transfer screen, select the appropriate Files And Settings option, and click Next.
- Follow the instructions in the wizard to create the compressed backup file.
To restore the files, simply run the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard as though you were transferring the files to a new computer.
For more information of the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard, see the following articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: