Windows XP’s compressed (zipped) folders work so much like folders that it is easy to forget that they are actually based on ZIP files. You may even remove files from a compressed folder by opening the folder and then copying and pasting the files to another folder. However, you may find it easier to use the compressed folders extraction wizard. Here’s how:
1. Right-click the compressed folder and select Extract All.
2. When you see the Welcome page of the extraction wizard, click Next.
3. Click the Browse button to choose a destination.
4. If necessary, create a new destination with the Make New Folder button. Click OK.
5. Click Next. This will extract the files in the compressed folder.
6. Select the Show Extracted Files check box and click the Finish button.
Note: This tip applies to both Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional.