Are you tired of searching the Internet for icons to use for your shortcuts? Then check out how easy it is to use Windows XP’s Paint program to create your own icons. Follow these steps:
- Launch Paint from the All Programs | Accessories menu.
- Pull down the Image menu and select the Attributes command.
- In the Attributes dialog box, type 32 in both the Width and Height boxes and click OK.
- To make the image easier to work with, click the Magnifier tool and select the level 8 magnification setting.
- Press [Ctrl]G to add gridlines.
- Use the tools and colors to create your icon.
- Press [Ctrl]S and save the file with an ICO extension.
You can now assign your custom icon to any shortcut you wish.
Note: This tip applies to both Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional.